- 1 What can I use instead of insulin?
- 2 What can diabetics eat without insulin?
- 3 Can drinking a lot of water lower your blood sugar?
- 4 What is the 500 rule in diabetes?
- 5 Is banana good for diabetes?
- 6 What time should diabetics stop eating?
- 7 What fruits should diabetics not eat?
- 8 What should I eat if my sugar is high?
- 9 How can I lower my sugar level quickly?
- 10 How do you feel when your blood sugar is too high?
- 11 What is the 100 rule in diabetes?
- 12 What happens if your sugar is always high?
- 13 What happens when a diabetic doesn’t eat?
What can I use instead of insulin?
In this Article
- Exenatide (Bydureon, Byetta)
- Liraglutide (Saxenda, Victoza)
- Pramlintide (Symlin)
- Dulaglutide (Trulicity)
- Semaglutide (Ozempic)
What can diabetics eat without insulin?
Eat them as healthy alternatives to sugar, high GI carbohydrates, or other treats.
- Tuna, halibut, and fish with omega-3 fatty acids.
- Sour cherries.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Leafy greens like spinach, kale, and chard.
- Chia seeds.
Can drinking a lot of water lower your blood sugar?
Drinking water regularly helps rehydrate the blood, lowers blood sugar levels, and could reduce diabetes risk ( 16, 17, 18, 19 ).
What is the 500 rule in diabetes?
Use the 500 Rule to estimate insulin-to-carb ratio: 500/TDD = number of carb grams covered by a unit of insulin. Example: 500/50=10; 1unit of insulin will cover about 10 grams of carbohydrate.
Is banana good for diabetes?
Bananas are a safe and nutritious fruit for people with diabetes to eat in moderation as part of a balanced, individualized diet plan. A person with diabetes should include fresh, plant food options in the diet, such as fruits and vegetables. Bananas provide plenty of nutrition without adding many calories.
What time should diabetics stop eating?
As a general rule, try to minimize any long gaps during the day without fuel, Sheth says, noting that 5 to 6 hours between meals is the absolute max most people with diabetes should push it. Some people may even need to eat every 3 to 4 hours for optimal blood sugar management, adds Phelps.
What fruits should diabetics not eat?
However, fruit can also be high in sugar. People with diabetes must keep a watchful eye on their sugar intake to avoid blood sugar spikes. Fruits high in sugar
- dried dates.
- overly ripe bananas.
What should I eat if my sugar is high?
9 foods to help balance blood sugar levels
- Whole wheat bread.
- Sweet potatoes and yams.
- Oatmeal and oat bran.
- Cold-water fish.
How can I lower my sugar level quickly?
This article looks at 12 simple things you can do to prevent blood sugar spikes.
- Go low-carb. Carbohydrates (carbs) are what cause blood sugar to rise.
- Eat fewer refined carbs.
- Reduce your sugar intake.
- Keep a healthy weight.
- Exercise more.
- Eat more fiber.
- Drink more water.
- Introduce some vinegar into your diet.
How do you feel when your blood sugar is too high?
If your blood sugar level is too high, you may experience:
- Increased thirst.
- Frequent urination.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Shortness of breath.
- Stomach pain.
- Fruity breath odor.
- A very dry mouth.
What is the 100 rule in diabetes?
The 100 rule is starting with 100, and dividing the average amount of insulin given over the last five days. For example if the average daily dose of insulin is 50. Calculation is 100 divide 50. You can see if your sensitivity is correct by looking at your record book.
What happens if your sugar is always high?
Having too much sugar in the blood for long periods of time can cause serious health problems if it’s not treated. Hyperglycemia can damage the vessels that supply blood to vital organs, which can increase the risk of heart disease and stroke, kidney disease, vision problems, and nerve problems.
What happens when a diabetic doesn’t eat?
If you don’t eat, your blood sugar levels are lower and medication may drop them even more, which can lead to hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia can cause you to feel shaky, pass out, or even go into a coma. When you “break” your fast by eating, you may also be more likely to develop too-high blood sugar levels.